Unit 7, Acting logs (September to January)

September:

9th of September.

In this session, I wanted to discuss and learn the structure and the themes of the many  types of stories that exist, for example a fairytale/folktale. I also wanted to learn more about steryotype characters and be able to characterize them. I managed to achieve all of these items within the session.

I feel this session went well for me because I was able to remember the different types of stories and was able to apply examples to each one. I had to observe most of this because of my injury and though my recovery I will be learning a lot by observation.

I learnt that stereotype characters can be useful to help make the foundations of a character but then you expand of them more to create a fully developed character.

15th of September.

The main focus of this session was to discuss and practice the transformations of animals. Our homework had been to observe an animal and take their characteristics so that we were able to transform into them.

As a class people showed what they had uncovered from the research as well as being able to  discuss the audience type (age groups, families, etc…)  that we will be performing to for our commission.

We discussed how we would not take the Stanislavski approach but more of the Brectian style of theatre as Stanislavski is more emotive where as Brect’s characters were more two 2D. We will need to perform in a pantomime manner to capture the audience’s attention form the very beginning of the performance.

22nd of September.

In this session as a class, we looked at character stereotypes once again. The main aim for this session was to perform as a believable stereotype. We all picked out a different stereotype and performed in pairs to the class.

I feel as though I did the best I could given my situation with my recovery, this is the first time I’ve been able to get up and join in a little but in the class properly and not just observe.

October:

!4th/21st of October.

In these sessions are goals were to finish blocking the scenes for the script and run through it from the beginning, as smoothly and successfully as we can. We trying to include as many songs as possible and to be able to rehearse and get them up to a performance standard. We achieved these goals and by Wednesday 21st we had completed the blocking and was able to run through the script with movement and the first song ‘Comedy Tonight’ there were a few mishaps and mistakes that we can iron out, these mainly lay in the dance steps which we can rehearse in our own time. I was able to remember the blocking that we had previously done and was almost off the script by the end of the week. My goal for the next few sessions is to be able to know the movement and the songs to a higher standard so I can be more comfortable with it which will show in my performance of the piece.

January:

13th of January.

In today’s lesson we discussed the types of audition speeches:

Classical: Shakespeare or one of his contemporaries (a writer of the same time: Christopher Marlowe, John Webster, (Aphra Benn), Ben Jonson)

Modern: 1950’s onwards

Contemporary: something within the last 20 years (John Godber, Nick Dear, Tom Stoppard, Jack Thorne, Caryl Churchill)

We need to have contrasting monologues to show depth and range in our acting.

Before the next lesson I want to have at least one monologue for each of these time periods.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements